Servings: 6 people
- 110g plain wholemeal flour
- 110g plain flour
- 110g cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 leek (sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 red pepper (sliced)
- 150g mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 40g black olives
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 4 eggs
- 70ml yoghurt
- 35g cheddar cheese (grated; feta works well too)
- First, make the pastry. In a food processor add both the flours and butter and blend until you have a mixture that looks like breadcrumbs (you can also do this by hand using the tips of your fingers rubbing the butter into the flour).
- Add the egg and water and blend until it comes together to form a pastry. Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for half an hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oC (fan oven).
- Grease a 23cm tart/quiche tin (loose bottom tin is best). Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll out on a floured surface about 0.5cm thick. Carefully line the tin with the pastry.
- Blind bake the pastry by placing greaseproof paper on top of the pastry and filling with baking beans (or uncooked rice). Place this into the oven on the middle shelf for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the greaseproof paper and baking beans and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- While the pastry is cooking, make the filling. In a frying pan fry the leek, garlic, red pepper and mushrooms in the olive oil for 5 minutes until soft. Add the herbs and smoked paprika and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 160oC (fan oven).
- Place the mixture into the pastry case and spread evenly.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, yoghurt and black pepper. Pour on top of the mixture making sure it fills the whole of the pastry case.
- Sprinkle over the cheese and olives. Place into the oven on the middle shelf and bake for 25-30 minutes until the mixture is set and golden on top. Leave to cool slightly in the tin before removing.
- Slice, and serve hot or cold with salad. This also makes a great picnic dish too.