Servings: 4 people
- 200g halloumi slices or halloumi block, sliced
- 1 aubergine sliced into 1cm thick circles
- 4 portobello mushrooms cleaned
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped or crushed
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 2 handfuls mixed salad leaves
- 4 ciabattas buns halved and toasted (or brioche buns)
- 3-4 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp cayenne chilli pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat a griddle pan on a medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl combine dried oregano, garlic, honey and olive oil. Mix well and brush (or rub) the oil mixture onto one side of the aubergine slices.
- Place the aubergine slices oiled side down onto the griddle pan and turn the heat down to medium. Cook for 3-4 minutes. While the first side is cooking, brush the other side of the aubergine slices with the oil mixture. Turn the slices and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Use the remaining oil mixture on the bottom side of the portobello mushrooms.
- Remove the aubergines from the pan and set to one side. Now add the mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes each side.
- While the mushrooms are cooking make the mayo. Add all the burger mayo ingredients to a small bowl and mix well, set aside in the fridge.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, set to one side with the aubergines.
- Turn the heat up to high and add the halloumi slices onto the griddle pan for 1-2 mins each side.
- Toast your buns in the toaster or under the grill until golden.
- Time to assemble the burgers. Evenly spread the burger mayo on one side of the bun, add a halloumi slice, aubergine slice, followed by the portobello mushroom and another aubergine slice. Top with a few slices of tomato and some mixed salad leaves. Repeat for all 4 burgers.
Serve these burgers just as they are, with a side salad or some homemade roasted chips, check out my sweet potato fries over on my fish & chips recipe. If you don’t own a griddle pan use a frying pan or you could also cook these on an electric grill such as a George Foreman or on the BBQ on a sunny day!