Servings: 4 people
- 50g cashews
- 100ml water
- 280g extra firm tofu (cut into chunks)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 400g chopped tomatoes (tin)
- 400g chickpeas (240g drained weight)
- 1&1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 onion (very finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 & 1/2 tsp medium curry powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp hot cayenne chilli pepper (to taste)
- 70g spinach
- Overnight or 4 hours before making the dish, soak cashews in water. Drain the soaking water and replace with 100ml of fresh water. Blend this until you have a smooth cream. Set aside for later.
- Take the tofu chunks and absorb any excess liquid with kitchen paper.
- In a bowl, combine the flour and 1 teaspoon of the curry powder and coat the tofu in the flour.
- In a frying pan, heat up 1/2 tablespoon of oil and fry the tofu chunks for about a minute each side until they are crispy and golden. Set aside on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- In the same pan, add the rest of the oil and fry the garlic and onion until soft, then add the spices and fry for another minute.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Towards the end of cooking stir in the cashew cream.
- Add the chickpeas, tofu and spinach and cook gently for around 2 minutes until the spinach is cooked.
- Serve with your favourite rice or half a roasted aubergine.