Servings: 20 small sticks
- 20 small or 10 large kebab sticks
- 1 avocado (peeled, destoned and cut into cubes)
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 handfuls of salad leaves of your choice
- 4-5 mini cucumbers (thickly sliced or 150g regular cucumber chopped into chunks)
- 10 cherry tomatoes (halved; we used red, orange and yellow tomatoes)
- 110g cooked beetroot (chopped into chunks)
- 20 goat’s cheese cubes (or mozzarella pearls; drained)
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- seasoning of black pepper (optional)
- Ensure all the salad ingredients are washed and prepared as stated above.
- Coat the avocado pieces in the lemon juice to stop them from browning and set aside.
- Take a few salad leaves into your hands and roll them together. Thread this through the kebab stick.
- Then thread a piece of the cucumber, tomato, and avocado, leaving room for the beetroot and cheese.
- Repeat steps 3 & 4 until all the sticks are done.
- Now, add a beetroot piece to each of the sticks. Once completed, wash and dry your hands thoroughly as beetroot colours the skin.
- Top each of the salad sticks with a goat’s cheese cube (or mozzarella pearl).
- If you are using large sticks, repeat steps 3-7 on each of the sticks.
- If you wish, finish the salad sticks with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and some cracked black pepper.
- Serve and let everyone help themselves. Enjoy!
- Using a serrated or shape cutter can make it fun and appealing for kids.
- Using different coloured cherry tomatoes adds to the variety of colours.
- Always be sure to wash your hands after touching the beetroot.
- You can also swap the olive oil for a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
- This recipe is perfect for snacks, parties and picnics.