Servings: 6 people
- 100g pearl barley
- 100g dried red lentils
- 1 tbsp olive oil (plus a little extra)
- 400g chopped tomatoes (tin)
- 700ml vegetable stock (reduced salt)
- 75ml rose or white wine
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 carrot (finely chopped)
- 4-5 sundried tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 6 peppers
- In a sieve, wash the pearl barley and lentils and set aside.
- In a frying pan add the olive oil, onions, garlic and carrots. Sauté over a medium heat for 3 minutes and then add the wine, lentils and pearl barley. Turn the heat to high so the wine is bubbling and cook for 3 more minutes until the wine has cooked away.
- Stir in the tinned and sundried tomatoes.
- Stirring continously gradually add the stock a little at a time. Each time the mixture starts to dry add more stock. Do this for 25-30 minutes until you have used all the stock.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oC and line a baking tray with foil.
- Take the peppers and carefully slice off the tops and clean the insides of the seeds. Take a little olive oil and rub over the peppers and the tops.
- Spoon the mixture into the peppers until it is full to the top. Place the top back on the peppers like a lid and place onto the baking tray. Some peppers might not stand on their own so take some scrunched-up foil and use it as a support.
- Place the baking try into the oven on the middle shelf for 30 minutes.
This recipe is great served with salad or roasted/steamed veg. For a non-vegan option, serve with grilled salmon or chicken.