Servings: 16 squares
- 40g plain wholemeal flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 100g oats
- 20g pumpkin seeds
- 20g sunflower seeds
- 35g raisins
- 25g dried cranberries
- 30g dried apricots (chopped)
- 1 overripe banana (mashed)
- 65ml milk (or plant based alternative)
- 1 egg (large)
- 1 carrot (small; finely grated)
- 100g courgette (finely grated)
- Preheat oven to 180°C /fan 160°C/gas mark 4 and line a 8×8” baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking power, cacao powder and cinnamon powder into a bowl.
- Add the oats, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, raisins, cranberries and apricots to the bowl and mix.
- In a separate bowl add the mashed banana, milk and egg, and whisk together until combined.
- In a sieve, drain off the excess liquid from the grated carrot and courgette, then add this to the liquid mixture and mix together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine well.
- Transfer the mixture to the lined tray and spread out evenly.
- Bake on the middle shelf for 20-25 minutes. Test with a skewer (it should come out clean).
- Leave to cool in the tray for 10 minutes before removing and slicing.
- Store in an air tight container, in a cool dry place, for up to 3 days.
- Packed with fruit, veg, seeds and oats, these squares provide fibre important for maintaining healthy digestion.