Servings: 2 children
- 100-200 g salmon (weight is dependent on child's age/appetite)
- 200-250 g sweet potatoes (this is about 2 small potatoes)
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small slice bread
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- ¼ tsp garlic granules (optional)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 small egg (whisked)
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs (optional)
- 100 g frozen peas
- ½ avocado (stone and skin removed)
- 1 lemon (half juiced and half into wedges)
- 1 tbsp plain yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (fan oven) and line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Wash and trim the ends off the sweet potatoes and cut into chips size pieces. Place onto a baking tray, drizzle over the oil and smoked paprika and garlic granules (if using) and coat the chips using your hands. Place into the oven on the middle shelf for 35-40 minutes, turning halfway through.
- In a food processor blend the bread into breadcrumbs. Pour onto the other baking tray and spread out evenly. Place into the oven for 5-10 minutes until the breadcrumbs are crisp and golden brown.
- Whilst the breadcrumbs are browning make the fish. Take 3 bowls; in one bowl add the flour and mixed herbs (if using) and mix together. In another bowl whisk the egg. In the 3rd bowl add the toasted breadcrumbs when ready.
- Cut the salmon into 2 equal portions. First coat the fish in the flour and herb mix, then coat in the egg and lastly roll in the breadcrumbs ensuring the whole piece of fish is coated in a layer. Place onto the baking tray (that was used to toast the breadcrumbs).
- Repeat the process with the other piece of fish.
- Place the fish into the oven, below the chips, and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the fish is cooked through.
- In the meantime, make the mushy peas. Cook the peas for 5 minutes by steaming on the hob or in the microwave and drain.
- In a food processor add the peas, avocado, lemon juice and yoghurt. Pulse until it reaches a chunky texture (or smoother if desired).
- Once the fish and chips are cooked serve up with the mushy peas and a wedge of lemon on the side.
- Make a batch of fish to store in the freezer before cooking. When needed defrost and place onto a baking tray and cook at 180ºC (fan oven) for 15-20 minutes.
- Cooked left-over portions can also be stored in the freezer. These should be reheated thoroughly before serving.