Servings: 10 people
- 100ml olive oil (must be light)
- 100g Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp stem ginger syrup
- 25g light muscovado sugar
- 3 eggs (whisked)
- 100g oatmeal (or ground oats)
- 100g wholemeal flour (sifted)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 ripe pears (cored and chopped into small chunks)
- 2 balls stem ginger (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp fresh ginger (finely grated)
- 50g dark chocolate chunks (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/ 160°C fan/ Gas 4 and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- In a bowl add the olive oil, yoghurt, syrup and sugar. Whisk for a minute until the mixture is smooth. An electric whisk or mixer is best, or spend slightly longer if using a hand whisk.
- Gently add the egg a little at a time and whisk in. The mixture should be silky and smooth and beige in colour.
- Add the oatmeal, flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda, and gently fold in until the mixture is combined.
- Add the pear, stem ginger, fresh ginger and chocolate if using. Mix evenly throughout the batter.
- Transfer the mixture to the loaf tin and place on the middle shelf in the oven for 45-50 minutes. Check it’s cooked with a skewer (it should come out clean).
- Store in an airtight container, in a cool dry place, for up to 3 days.
- Tinned pears (drained) would also work very well in this recipe and are a good store cupboard standby.