Servings: 16 parcels
- 100g raisins
- 100g currants
- 100g dried cranberries
- 50g walnuts (chopped)
- juice of 2 oranges
- zest of 1 orange
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp dark muscovado sugar (or similar)
- 1 small apple (cored and chopped into small pieces)
- 8 sheets filo pastry (room temperature)
- 2 tbsp butter (or dairy-free alternative; melted)
- Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
- In a large bowl add the raisins, currants, dried cranberries, walnuts, orange juice, orange zest, lemon zest, mixed spice, ground cinnamon, chia seeds and sugar. Mix well. Cover and leave to soak for around 2 hours (or overnight).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 160°C fan/ Gas 4. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Uncover the mincemeat mixture and add the chopped apple and walnuts and combine well.
- Remove the filo (room temp) from the packaging. Take 2 sheets (cover the other sheets with a damp tea towel when not using). On one sheet brush the edges and middle lightly with the melted butter. Place the second sheet directly on top and press down so they stick together (the butter acts as glue).
- Using a pizza slicer or knife cut the sheet into quarters (4 squares). Place around 2 tablespoons of the mixture in the middle of each square. Brush the edges with the melted butter. One square at a time, take each corner carefully and gather into the middle, pinch together at the top to enclose the filling. Place onto the baking tray.
- Repeat step 5 until you have used all the mixture.
- Lightly brush the parcels, including tops, with the remaining melted butter.
- Place into the oven, on the middle shelf for 25-30 minutes until the tops and edge are golden.
- Once cooked, remove from the coven and transfer carefully to a wire rack to cool slightly before dusting with icing sugar.
- Enjoy these warm or at room temperature.
- Keep in an airtight container, in a cool, dry place for up to 3 days.
- You can soak the mincemeat mixture the night before. Transfer to an airtight jar and place in the fridge overnight.
- If you are offering these to children under 5 ensure the walnuts are finely crushed.