Servings: 5 people
- 250g mince meat (5% fat)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 1/2 courgette (finely chopped)
- 2 carrots (small, finely chopped)
- 1 red pepper (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Italian dried mixed herbs
- 1 sprig rosemary (finely chopped; or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1 stock cube (low salt)
- 390g green lentils (tin; 265g drained weight)
- 400g chopped tomatoes (tin)
- 150ml water
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 & 1/2 tsp Worcester sauce
- 300g pasta (shells work best)
- 1 mozzarella ball (125g drained weight)
- 50g mature cheddar cheese (grated)
- In a deep frying pan, dry fry the mince, garlic and onion. Once the mince has browned, drain off any remaining fat.
- Add the courgette, carrot and pepper and fry for 2-3 minutes before adding the parika, herbs and crumble in the stock cube and fry for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, water, tomato puree, Worcester Sauce and lentils, and simmer on a low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Whilst the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta as per the packet instructions and drain.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oC (fan oven).
- When everything is cooked, add the pasta to the sauce and stir through.
- Transfer everything to an ovenproof dish. Tear strips of the mozzarella over the top as well as the grated cheddar. Place into the oven on the middle shelf for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Serve up with a side of steamed greens and portion up any leftovers for the freezer.
This can easily be made vegan/veggie friendly by swapping to meat-free mince and dairy-free cheese.