Family Fish Pie
A lovely dish to feed all the family or one just for the kids (freezing the leftovers for a great homemade freezer meal)
Servings: 5 people
- 340g fish pie mix (or any mixed fish)
- 200g raw prawns
- 100g frozen peas (defrosted)
- 100g frozen sweetcorn (defrosted)
- 100g frozen spinach (defrosted)
- 400g white potatoes (chopped into small cubes, skin on)
- 200g sweet potatoes (chopped into small cubes, skin on)
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 250g milk
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- Pinch black pepper
- 60g red leicester or cheddar cheese (grated)
- 3 oatcakes (crushed; optional)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Bring a large pan of water to the boil, then add the white potato and sweet potato. Boil for around 20 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
Whilst the potatoes are boiling make the white sauce. In a medium pan add the butter, flour, milk and mustard powder. Over a medium heat, whisk the mixture for 3-5 minutes until it thickens (it should coat the back of a wooden spoon). Season with black pepper and set aside.
Pre-heat the oven to 180oC (fan oven).
Once the potatoes are cooked, drain and add back to the pan. Add the olive oil and roughly mash the potatoes. Set aside.
Add the fish, prawns, peas, sweetcorn and spinach to the sauce, stir through.
Transfer the fish mixture to a medium-sized pie dish and top with the mashed potato, spreading evenly.
Sprinkle over the cheese and oatcakes (if using).
Place into the oven on the middle shelf for 25-30 minutes.